Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog, Wiki, and POSSCON

In class, we formed into teams for the semester-long OpenSource project.  My teammates include myself, Andrew Bissada, Glenn Faken, and Matt Lyons.  We also established group roles and named the group "Work Without Pay."

After class, I created a blog space using Blogger called "Perry's 462 Blog", registered on the student Wiki, and created a link from there to my blog.  I also registered for POSSCON using "student" as the discount code.  I wasn't sure which day to attend, so I marked them all, and will decide when to go once my schedule is more finalized.

In addition, I read chapters 1 and 2 of "Teaching Open Source".  These chapters contained mostly background information on FOSS and OpenSource projects in general.  I found the Contributor Mountain pyramid model particularly interesting (found in chapter 2).  In this hierarchical model, we all start as users, and progress to seekers, collaborators, and then contributors.  Climbing the ranks take place as one becomes more involved in a project.

Also, my teammates and I decided to get a head start on choosing a project, so I read through the summaries of each project.

No comments:

Post a Comment